Saturday, June 19, 2010

Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

I don%26#039;t get this. Maybe someone can shed some light of the subject and let me know if there%26#039;s something I%26#039;m missing and not seeing...



Over the course of a year, I will have paid about $9,000 in child support. That%26#039;s roughly 30% of my pay...give or take. I am still in my daughters life and have never been any type of %26#039;dead beat%26#039;.



From what I understand, child support is not a deduction on your taxes and my ex doesn%26#039;t have to claim it as income.



What doesn%26#039;t make sense to me is that my now ex will be getting back about $3,000 in taxes because she%26#039;s claiming my daughter.



I will owe $1,500 because I will be filing single with no dependants.



So if the child support amount I pay is taking care of 100% of my daughters needs, how is it that only my ex gets all the monatary tax credit just for having physical custody of her? I am paying my share of costs. So why doesn%26#039;t I get any credit?



Let me know if there is something I am overlooking.



Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

In a perfect world...your ex would allow you to claim your daughter because of your child support. However, because of the tax laws...the dependent tests state that the person whom the child lived with the longest during the year is who can claim the child.



Next year, you should inform her that you believe it would be fair to allow you to claim her every other year so that you too can benefit from the credits.



However, your ex may not go for that because this is not a perfect world.



Sorry for your luck.



Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

Child Support is a non taxable item and you can not claim it on your taxes, you are correct. The only time money is claimed is when it is Spousal Support.



FYI, it costs alot more than $9,000. to raise a child in one year.



You are just going to have to suck it up and pay.



Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

b/c she has custody therefore according to the gov. eyes she%26#039;s the one there phy. and fin. even though u pay child support, it doesn%26#039;t matter she gets all the money during tax time.



Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

Unfortunately, with out any court order you can%26#039;t claim the child since she lives with the mother. My advise to you is take her to court and get joint custody usually then you claim one year and she claims the next so on and so on. Maybe you get the courts in your favor and let you claim her every year. The only ones that can help you are a lawyer and a judge.



Don%26#039;t listen to the people that say you should pay. At least not every year. That way you can plan ahead for years you can%26#039;t claim her(change your w-2 every other year) so that way you aren%26#039;t effect. Both you and your ex provide your daughter support. Both of you made her. So both should be able to claim her. It%26#039;s only fair. SO GO TO COURT! This year is to late however.



Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

What you are overlooking (or rather what your attorney overlooked at the time of divorce and the settling on child support and the rest of those things) is an agreement to be able to claim your daughter alternating years. It%26#039;s onlyfair! If you must, hire an attorney and go back to court to get htis settled. You shouldn%26#039;t be punished financially for getting a divorce, although that is exactly what happens in the state of Indiana! God I hate this state!



Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

If you are paying child support and paying for all your daughters living expenses, you ARE entitled to claim her as a dependent! Seek legal help if your ex-wife does not agree to this as it is the law.



Does this child support/tax situation make any sense to you?

This is difficult for a logical person to explain, but here goes. First of all there is nothing fair about the tax system. Fairness does not enter into it. The tax code was constructed with the help of lobbiests who were able to insert provisions into the code favoring special interest. Divorsed fathers providing child support could not afford to pay lobbiests to insert provisions into the tax code favoring them. Simple as that.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive