Saturday, June 19, 2010

Part 2 - Filing 2006 Taxes - Married filing Separately & Claiming A Step Child?

After looking over my taxes, I have another question - If I do allow my soon-to-be-ex to claim my daughter from previous marriage as his dependent, but he does not qualify for the EIC. Can%26#039;t I claim her just for the sole purpose of EIC since I do provide all of her expenses??? (I don%26#039;t qualify for the Child Tax Credit due to no tax liability based on my income, but the soon-to-be-ex gets the Child Tax Credit, claiming her, but he does not qualify for the EIC.) I already claim my college student son for the EIC, but if I also claimed my daughter I would get a larger EIC credit.



Part 2 - Filing 2006 Taxes - Married filing Separately %26amp; Claiming A Step Child?

Yes you can as long as she lived with your for over six months.



Part 2 - Filing 2006 Taxes - Married filing Separately %26amp; Claiming A Step Child?

whoever takes care of this child for 6 months or more has the ability to claim the child. This should have been settled in the divorce proceedings.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Blog Archive